Sunday, August 2, 2009

You see... I have this "little project"...

So, what did you do this weekend?

I can ALMOST guarantee you did not bust out the paint brushes and paint the smallest freaking room in you house with 9 foot ceilings. No, I'm probably the only nutcase willing to take that on. During one of the prettiest August weekends I've ever seen.

But first, we managed to enjoy the out-of-doors a bit. Took the girls for an adventure on the "mainland" as we refer to the rest of the world on the other side of the Causeway.


When we returned home, with two tired, panting dogs, a pound of free doggie treats from the treat bar (thanks Petco!) and a new fuzzy dog bed (see previous post!)... I decided to ignore space/time realms and we headed to Home Depot for a new smoke detector and some paint supplies.

It's true we almost spent as much time debating the smoke detector models as we spent removing, unscrewing, un-mounting and un-whatever-else-ing the bathroom in advance of my "little project". Almost. Anyway, we ended up with a model that is both a smoke detector and a carbon monoxide detector, that also "talks" at 85-decibles of ear-piercing awesomeness to alert you to the type of emergency detected; i.e. "Fire, fire!" or "Carbon Monoxide, Carbon Monoxide!"

So on to my little project.

This is what our bathroom looked like when be bought the house:


And now look what we found when we took the mirror down:


Yes, that's a hole.


Apparently there was once a medicine cabinet set into the wall, and even though the previous owner COMPLETELY REMODELED THE WHOLE HOUSE, replacing this patch of drywall was just one little detail MUCH more easily remedied by hanging a mirror over it than actually patching it. Wow. Just wow.

Once we got over the shock of having a gaping hole behind our bathroom mirror, and when all of the bathroom hardware was finally out, and after I had finished taping off all the trim, vanity, light fixture, tub, etc, it was almost 6pm. And I could begin priming. I know you know where this is going...

So Brian made dinner (thanks Hon!), including a last minute trip to the grocery store because I forgot to buy hamburger buns, and I started priming. We ate dinner, and I finally finished priming. I cleaned brushes and started painting. I grunted, stubbed, dropped, banged and hated myself; I inched myself around that tiny room with WAY more obstacles than I had planned for (toilet, bathtub, door (trying to leave it open as much as possible before my brain reached a critical level of paint-fume-toxins), and too little floor space for my ladder) until 12:30am when my vision became reality.

So, there is still a hole behind the mirror (this gives a whole new meaning to "it's all smoke and mirrors, folks!!") and my mirror, which was another whole project in itself, turned out to be too big in the end. It will work for now, but the search is still on.

If you're not overwhelmed from just reading this chaos, let me know, and I'll invite you over the next time I decide to tackle a "little project" - I'm sure you will get the full effect that way!

This is probably the ONLY time I will ever utter the following sentence:

"THANK GOODNESS THIS HOUSE ONLY HAS ONE BATHROOM!"

4 comments:

Katie said...

WOW! You are better than I am. I would've quit when I saw the hole...LOL. This is a hilarious post and the bathroom looks great too!! Love the color!

Anonymous said...

This sure softens the room - what a lovely shade of blue.
I think the "hole" has potential.......readers send in your suggestions

oma

Adie Leigh said...

I love it! You have such great taste! Love you

bethaboo_aggie said...

Oh, it's such a good color for the bathroom.