Monday, December 27, 2010

So Long, Vacation

We should be cozy by the fire in our cabin we rented for a week in the Blue Ridge Mountains right now... we should be exploring small towns by day and soaking in a hot tub under the stars at night... but, alas, Mother Nature had different plans for us once again. The winter storm system that has brought a white Christmas to many across the nation dumped an unprecidented 6-8 inches of snow on our route there.

I'm thankful we're not stranded somewhere, or worse yet, stuck in a ditch. But it stings a little to miss this trip with my husband and my dogs, it was a getaway we were really looking forward to, a vacation with a whole lot of nothing planned, new people to meet, new trails to walk, food to enjoy and just doing something a little special to ring in the New Yeear. As I told everyone last week, being able to get away like this feeds my soul. I need it, and I crave it... I live from adventure to adventure.

But we're safe, healthy, and we'll just have to go some other time.

For now, I'll have to be content to bask in the warm glow our families bring at the holidays. We had a good time with my parents and brother's family on Christmas Eve, and then with Brian's family on Christmas Day. Of course, we have a few pictures to remember it by!

Christmas Eve


Christmas Day


No comments: