Thursday, October 18, 2012

Trip Part 2 - The Grand Canyon

When we left Sedona we enjoyed a beautiful drive to the Grand Canyon. Well, it was beautiful between Sedona and Flagstaff... from Flagstaff to the Grand Canyon is a little less thrilling. Brian snoozed through that part of the drive :)

On the way, I asked Brian, who had been there before, if I was going to LOVE the Grand Canyon. The night before we had seen a meteor streak across the sky... I jumped out of my chair hollering "DUDE! DUDE! DID YOU SEE THAT! THAT WAS A METEOR!!!" and I wanted to know if I was going to have the same reaction when I walked to the rim. Brian's response?

"It's pretty cool... for a giant hole in the ground."

He's got a sense of humor, that one.

It was pretty awesome. Maybe not in a sparkling-ball-of-fire-meteor way, but still awesome. And we witnessed some beautiful sunsets!!!






Our first evening at the canyon. It was beautiful!



We took a day hike into the canyon on the South Kaibob Trail. It was tough like I expected, steeper than I had anticipated, and pleasantly, a wider trail than I had imagined. I can't imagine doing this on the back of a mule. I DO want to do the WHOLE HIKE someday. And I would LOVE to do a river rafting trip here someday. 


Switchbacks.


Quite a view!


Cedar Ridge overlook. About 1.5 miles into the canyon. This is where we turned around.


Looking back UP the switchbacks. It's nice to have the little people as a reference :)


We made a couple friends....


The next sunset. We went further west this time, and if you really look, you can see a nice sliver of river down there!








Just for fun... Believe me when I say, it was WINDY that evening! WOW :)


The next morning, before we packed up camp to leave, a group of elk came right through our campsite! It was the perfect send off!






No comments: