Tuesday, April 28, 2009

Be Careful When You Swing a Rake...

Thanks to yours truly, we had an exciting Sunday evening! I got off work earlier than I thought I would, so at about 3pm I decided I'd squeeze in a few hours working on the front yard. After about an hour, I had really made progress... the other half of the front of the house had the landscaping bricks in place, and I just needed to till up the dirt before I moved on to creating the next and final section of the new flowerbeds...

This is where I must inform you all - be careful when you swing a rake (the hard metal kind, not the flimsy wiry kind you rake leaves with)...

I wildly swung my rake and lobbed off the watering hose spigot - right off the pvc pipe built into our deck. Instantly, water was gushing out. Initially, I couldn't really figure out what had happened... but within a moment I realized what I had done. Calmly I hollered out, "BRIAN ... EMERGENCY!" "I NEED YOU TO SHUT OFF THE WATER TO THE HOUSE" - It didn't take him long to realize what I had done either.

(Embarassingly enough, we didn't have one of those "keys" you use to turn the water off so I also had to run across the street to our sweet neighbors and borrow one! Thank goodness they were home!)

Two trips to home depot, a whole lot of apologizing and a lot of scooting around under the house later, Brian actually had it all fixed up (no thanks to the clueless kids at the Home Depot plumbing department... hence the second trip) and now we have a spankin' new spigot too!

Needless to say, I won't be swinging any rakes in the near future! (Do you think this was a weird pre-cursor to all the flooding in Houston last night and this morning??? Ha ha)

In other news, Brian is working a little late and I decided to spoil the puppies tonight. (They guilted me into it with their sad "stop torturing me" looks when I gave them baths!!) I stopped at Walmart and picked up a couple new things for them to play with.

"What's this, Mom?"

I love how Gracie "wears" the frizbee as she brings it back... well, to say she brings it back is an exaggeration, but she sort of runs around with it in your general direction...

3 comments:

Adie Leigh said...

Oh my goodness! That is too funny! Love you. sounds like what i would do

Kristin said...

Wow! Who knew swinging a rake could lead to all that?! lol The floods out here have been crazy. We had to drive from Missouri City to The Woodlands yesterday and *almost* got stuck on I45 due to the freeway being flooded!

bethaboo_aggie said...

Holy Cow that is nearly the most precious thing I've ever seen. Of course she would hold the inside of the donut frisbee.