Monday, May 24, 2010

Pueblo History at Mesa Verde National Park

Today we drove to Mesa Verde National Park. Everywhere you drive here is scenic! I could take a million pictures of the mountains and still want to take more.

Our morning began with a little surprise... SNOW! These pictures were taken around our cabin and from the road by the lake.



Mesa Verde was really awesome. (And by the way, it was snowing when we got there! Not enough to stick this time, but still, we were driving across the park and there were flurries... crazy!) The Mesa is HUGE - I had no idea... I guess I thought there was just one mesa with a big alcove in the "bottom" and that's where the big site was. Instead, we drove up and across the mesa for about 45 minutes before we got to the location, and there are various canyons all around with the archeological sites tucked inside.


This is Cliff Palace. We took the ranger guided tour and learned a lot about the people that lived here 800+ years ago.


This is Spruce Tree House, where we got to climb down into a Kiva (a mostly ceremonial circular structure built into the ground)... even Dilly came along for the adventure!


We ended the day in Durango for happy hour and dinner! We don't really have a plan for tomorrow, so you'll just have to wait and see what happens. You can bet we will be snuggled up close to the fireplace tonight, though... the temp could get as low as 25 tonight!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Seeing the mountains makes me homesick for the Alps - the snow however..leaves me cold :)
Dilly is too cute,

Enjoy yourselves,
Bootless in Houston

Adie Leigh said...

I have been there! I think its awesome that you are somewhere that I once was. Have a great time!