Sunday, June 13, 2010

The Chimney Rock Program

About 2 weeks before our trip, I made reservations for our Thursday night activity - the Full Moon Program at Chimney Rock Archaeological Site. After soaking in the hot springs all day and a bite to eat, we made our way to Chimney Rock. The skies were less than promising, but we held our breath, and along with about 80 other people, made our way to an archeological site looking out over the valleys below and across at Chimney Rock (far) and Companion Rock (near).


As we listened to a Native American Flute Player, we were told the story of the Ancient Puebloan people and the significance of lunar patterns and events in their society. While we enjoyed a pretty sunset, the moon-rise was completely blocked by a storm on the not-too-distant horizon. The result was a moon-less Full Moon Program, but beautiful views of thunderheads, lightning, rain, etc. When it got too close, we made our descent and finished the talk in the parking lot (I was just glad to get off the exposed top of the mountain - I was getting pretty nervous with all the lightning and thunder and quickening wind...) I loved catching the following shots of our impressive night.





No comments: