Sunday, June 13, 2010

Our Final Day - Hiking Pine River Trail

On our last full day in Colorado we hiked the Pine River Trail - it was a very different hike from our first day in Colorado... we had hoped we were more acclimated and we're sure distance wise we covered more ground this time, we were still totally exhausted when we got back, just like day one! HA! But the views were incredible and as I'm sure you'll see, we had fun. I'm pretty sure you'd be hard pressed to find a place my guy and I COULDN'T have fun :)


This valley is where our hike began. Fields of yellow flowers, groves of Aspen trees, gentle breezes... heaven!

Slightly different terrain right next to the mountains... like this rock-slide area!

The Pine River Runs Through It... the Weminuche Wilderness, that is! Since we only had a day, we just hiked in about 4-5 miles, turned around, and hiked back out. But you can backpack for days and days in here. In fact, we met some guys at the trail head that had horses and pack mules and were heading out for a weekend trip!

I was less than confident about crossing this make-shift bridge, but we did it, and we lived to tell about it. I was too concerned about our safety and the safety of the camera hanging around my neck to remember anything, so you can thank Brian for saying "hey, don't you want to get a shot of that?!?" - otherwise we wouldn't have any pictures to prove our adventure :) Now, as for the snakes we saw writhing around in the creek bed I almost walked into, well, I hightailed it out of there, so you'll just have to take my word for it!

2 comments:

Katie said...

I loved the rest of the trip pictures! WOW!!! Absolutely beautiful pictures!

P.S. just looking at that makeshift bridge made me nervous...you are one brave woman...ha!

Anonymous said...

Looks like the latest trip was another winner -
super pictures, what memories

mom