Tuesday, November 11, 2008

For Miles and Miles...

It's Tuesday night and time for an update on my Lubbock travels (only 2.2 more days until I get to go home!). I've been up here talking to prospective college students that wish to study at my university. Unfortunately, 90% of these kids have never even seen the ocean much less experienced what great opportunities it affords. That makes it EXTREMELY difficult to convince them to come to Galveston. Especially after a hurricane. Half these kids just want to go to Tech anyway. Ugh, I've got a lot to say on that subject but I'll hold my toungue and post pictures instead!! 

So, to start it off: Here's a picture of my setup. I sit at that table and interact with students that come by. Hopefully they are interested enough to fill out one of those cards at the front but most just take my stuff. Filthy thieves!!
Next I have an awesome shot showing off the utter flatness of Panhandle. The speed limit is 70 but everyone goes like 90. You can see cop cars from what seems like 100 miles off! This was also the highway I got attacked by a tumbleweed on. Just rolled right in front of the car and I had no choice. Vehicular plantslaughter will surely be the charge (if they ever find the evidence, hah!)

And this is the pimp car that was rented to me at Enterprise. I love the fact that when I turned on the car the radio was set to Sirius's hip hop station, the bass was turned up to +9 and the treble was turned down to -4. Whoever had the car before me was bumpin' through Panhandle. Oh, and I almost forgot -- I found a half drunkeded bottle of vodka and a bottle of ranch dressing in the trunk. My camera was still packed at the time so I don't have a picture. I laughed out loud, put the stuff in a trash can and drove off.

Right after I took the above picture, I turned around and noticed the cool clouds and beautful colors of a panhandle sunrise. Not sure the below pic does it justice but it was really pretty.

And last but not least, I want you all to know that I spread out like crazy when I get into a hotel room. This picture was taken not more than 5 minutes of me being in the room and it looks like a computer/hoodie explosion. Guess I just try and make the place feel as much like home as possible.

That about wraps up this update on my Panhandle-licious adventures. I'll post more pictures later this week when I'm not feeling exhausted (yeah, right.) I want to get more pictures to show exactly how appropriate the town names are out here. Two examples: Brownfield and Plainview. Pancake is out here, too. So is Cereal, Happy, and Jack's Town. Wooo!


2 comments:

Beachski said...

"Trying to make it feel like home"

What are you trying to say, sir? That I allow our home to be a pigsty?

That's right. That's what I thought. :)

Brian "Big Dog" Borski said...

I, uh, yeah....Love you...? ;)