Monday, November 10, 2008

This is Why We Can't Have Nice Things!



Today I explored the realms of single-parenthood. Since my other half is chilling in the Panhandle, I got the girls ready while I got ready for work, and before I manged to get out of the door, I got some peanut butter on my jacket. Thank goodness for Shout wipes!

We had gross weather today, so the golf course was very quiet, and we actually shut down a little early. We're supposed to have a tournament tomorrow, but the forecast doesn't look much better.

The gulf was pretty choppy today with the storms. As I drove along seawall, I actually had a wave crash over the top and hit my car! This is something that would not normally happen except when there's a hurricane in the Gulf... but since so much beach has eroded away, I guess the waves just roll right up to the wall. I'm sure this won't be my last "since the hurricane" discovery.

Now to the dogs. Sundae had her first experience with the crate today. She seemed to do pretty darn well! She didn't cry when I put her in (I'm sure the peanut butter and cookie bone distraction helped!) but of course I don't know how she behaved once I was gone. When I got home from lunch to let her out, she started shaking. It broke my heart, but thankfully she warmed back up to me pretty quickly. I can only hope that with time she'll realize that we always return and let her back out, and there's nothing to be scared of.

When it was time for me to head back to work from lunch, I experienced the ultimate irony. When I got new peanut butter cookie bones prepared, the dogs scattered to the living room. When I got there, one dog was in the crate, and one was on the couch... sounds perfect, but... they were the wrong dogs!! I had Gracie in the crate and Sundae on the couch! Whoops. It took quite a bit of convincing to get Gracie out and quite a bit of shoving to get Sundae in... and then a little more shoving to get Gracie back out again (she climbed in with Sundae)... needless to say, eventually I got the doors shut and I quickly zipped back to work. Phew!

And now for the namesake of this post. We purchased a couple new toys for the homecoming of little Sundae. We knew we were asking for trouble with this one, but doesn't every little dog deserve a squeak toy? Well, we tried. And this is why we can't have nice things...

3 comments:

Adie Leigh said...

that is too funny. love your dogs

Brian "Big Dog" Borski said...

Yeah, that's pretty much par for the course. The picture of Gracie is awesome :D

Katie said...

I'm sitting here literally LOL because we had that same toy and the same darn thing happened to it! Uh! "The girls" are precious and I'm happy to hear that Sundae is warming up to her new home.