Sunday, November 30, 2008

Nostalgia Attack!!

I'm on the road again, this time in Central Texas. This area is especially exciting because this is where I grew up, went to high school, spent money, and generally raised hell. On the way to my hotel I drove past the restaurant where the band nerds (me included!) used to go. We'd get the nastiest food but wouldn't care -- the place was open 24 hours and the company was always good. I've yet to see my high school (it was dark by the time I got here) but I'll make a trip by to see it tomorrow. Lunch tomorrow will also be special -- Rosita's enchiladas with some old family friends.

Yet not is all awesome. Harker Heights (where I actually lived, it's just easier to say Killeen) is now some massive tourist trap. Huge new theater, tons of new shops, etc. FM 2410 used to be devoid of anything and now it's building-to-building stripmall. While nothing ever stays the same, it's kind of a wake up call to see. Some part of me half expected to see the town just the way it was when I left. I'll only be here until Tuesday morning, then I head down to Austin/Pflugerville. From there it'll be Seguin/New Braunfels area and then College Station. My mother is taking me back to my home in Galveston since Friday is my B-day. Hooray for being almost one-quarter dead! 

I'll post some pictures as the week goes by, or at least I'll try to. I need to figure out how to get the pictures off of my new toy (hooray iPhone -- sorry hun!!) and onto my laptop. I'm already missing my family back in Galveston but I have a feeling this week is going to go fast. I hope so, at least.  

No comments: